Problems with a patron's library account:
Any error message that begins with "Library server message" means that there is a problem with the patron's account, and can be solved as if the problem occurred when trying to check out a physical book.
- “Your library card has expired. Please contact your library.” A message generated by OverDrive for an expired account. Contact the library directly to resolve this issue.
- “Library server message-Privilege has expired.” This means that the library card associated with this OverDrive account has expired and needs to be renewed. Staff will need to verify and update library card information with the patron.
Problems with the Libby app:
- Why can't I return a title? If you've downloaded a title to the OverDrive app (mobile or desktop), to Adobe Digital Editions (ADE), or as a Kindle Book, you won't be able to return it from Libby. However, you can return it from the application you used to download the title (the OverDrive app or ADE) or from Amazon (if you downloaded it as a Kindle Book).
- Why can't I send a book to Kindle? If you're having trouble sending a book to Kindle, there could be a few reasons: The book may not be available for Kindle. You can check by tapping the book jacket, then scrolling to the "supports" section of its details and looking for "Amazon Kindle." You may have already downloaded the book in a different format using the OverDrive app or your library's OverDrive website. If you download a book through one of these channels, you can't send it to Kindle from Libby (unless you borrow the book again).
- I'm missing chapters of an audiobook. What should I do? If you're missing chapters in an audiobook, delete and re-download it: Go to your Shelf. Tap checkmark icon, then Stream (when online). Tap Yes, swipe download to confirm. Tap cloud icon, then Download. This will download a fresh copy of the audiobook.
Problems with Kindle:
- “Looking for something? We’re sorry. The web address you entered is not functioning on our site.” This is an error that occurs when you choose to download the Kindle version of a book and it sends you over to Amazon. The link is broken, so you need to submit an OverDrive support ticket for it to be corrected.
- My device crashed and I lost my music. Can Freegal restore my library? Because of licensing agreements, Freegal is unable to restore music libraries that have been lost and recommends backing up your files. For example, if you have your music library in iTunes on your computer or mobile device, you could back up to iCloud so your music isn’t only on your computer or device. If you’re using iOS, you can also back up everything to iCloud. You could also use File Sharing in iTunes to sync the music on your iOS device with iTunes on your computer. For Android devices, you can backup files to a cloud service, such as Dropbox, to your personal computer, or to an external hard drive.
- How do I delete a song off my mobile device? In the "My Music" section of the app, you will see a list of songs that you have downloaded. If you swipe to the side on one of the songs, an option to delete will appear.
- Is content downloaded onto patrons' devices or computers? All titles are available for streaming using hoopladigital.com on a PC/Mac. Borrowed titles are only available for download on mobile devices, such as iOS (iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch) and supported Android phones or tablets.
- Can patrons play hoopla content on more than one device at the same time? Patrons can play hoopla content on several devices, but not at the same time. They can begin content playback on one device and pick it back up later on another device right from the point they left off.
- A patron is trying to play a title on hoopla, but it will not work. How do I report this error? On the iOS app, there is a button that looks like a “Box with an Arrow” in the upper right-hand corner of the title details page. Here patrons will see the “Report an Error” button. On the hoopla website, if there is an issue with playing a title you should see the “Report a Problem” in the upper right of the content player. Lastly when playing a title on an Android device, scroll to the bottom of the page and select “Having problems with this title? Let us know!” and hoopla will investigate the issue.
- When a patron plays a video and it keeps skipping and stopping, what could be the problem? Please ask the patron to check their internet connection speed. hoopla works over a 3G/4G or WiFi network connection. However, slow network speeds can cause video playback to lag or skip. Network performance varies by cellular provider and/or location.
- Why is there no audio when a title is being played on the patron's iPad? On patron's Apple device, the mute switch is located directly above the volume control. Please check mute switch and make sure it is switched to the “on” position (if the switch is orange, then device is muted). Also, check the control center on the iPad by swiping up from the bottom of your screen towards the top. The bell icon should be clear without a slash through it.
- Our music label-required monthly lending limit of 2 borrows within a 30-day period has been reached. Please continue to browse, and borrow another selection. (Rev. 9/2017) Some music vendors have a restriction in place and do not allow you to borrow the same title more than twice in a 30 day period. Check your history to find out the last 2 times you borrowed the title to see when you can borrow it again!
- Sorry, but it appears you have a fine on your account. Please contact your local library at (XXX) XXX-XXXX to get this corrected. (Rev. 9/2017) This means you have a fine on your library card. Please contact PPLD staff for assistance.
- Sorry, our lending policy does not allow you to borrow this title. For further assistance, please contact the library. (Rev. 9/2017) This is a content restriction set by your library.
- This content is not currently offered by your library. (Rev. 9/2017) This is a content restriction set by your library.
- This title is currently blocked by your library. Please continue to browse and borrow another title. (Rev. 9/2017) This is a content restriction set by your library.
- This title is currently unavailable. Please continue to browse and borrow another title. (Rev 9/2017) There is an issue with this title and we are working on resolving it now.
- We can't authenticate with your library server right now. You can try again later or contact your local library at (XXX) XXX-XXXX. (Rev. 9/2017) There is an issue with your library's system and we cannot verify any information at your library right now. We apologize for any inconvenience. Please try again later or contact PPLD for more information.
- We could not communicate with the hoopla servers. (Rev. 9/2017) If you are having issues borrowing or registering, this is most likely your issue. There is an issue with your library's system and we cannot verify any information at your library right now. If you are having issues browsing content, this is most likely an issue with hoopla and we are currently working on fixing this issue.
- We currently do not offer this title. Please contact a librarian to express your interest. (Rev. 9/2017) This is a restriction set in place by your local library.
- We currently do not offer titles with this rating. Please contact a librarian to express your interest. (Rev. 9/2017) This is a restriction set in place by your local library.
- Yikes! Something is wrong with your library card or PIN. Please double check your info in settings and if you still have issues contact your local library at (XXX) XXX-XXXX for support. (Rev. 9/2017)
- You have reached your monthly lending limit of XX titles. Please continue to browse and add to your favorites. See you next month. (Rev. 9/2017) PPLD sets and allows patrons to borrow up to 10 titles each month. On the first of every month, your number resets. Please note: Returning a title does not increase your borrow limit for the current month. Your borrow limit is a cumulative total for the month, not a total you can have borrowed at any given time.
- Your library's daily lending limit has been reached for the day and will reset this evening. This is a library-administered limit, and differs from your monthly borrowing limit, and differs from your monthly borrowing limit. Please continue to browse, add to favorites, and return after reset to borrow. This is different from your monthly borrows. This is your library's daily budget and means that the daily budget for your library has been depleted for the day. The budget resets at midnight UTC (Coordinated Universal Time).